Earlier this month, as part of our Facebook 1,000 Final Stretch Contest, I asked you for suggestions on how to improve our blog, our Facebook page and my Tuesday Tip videos. Over and over you suggested that we discuss:
“diverse experiences of people…”
“specific backgrounds and their weaknesses…”
“backgrounds of people we have helped…”
Sounds like you want some case studies!! So I thought about the best way to do this, dug into my client database, contacted clients, asked for permission to anonymously feature them and…
WA-LAH! Introducing the newest weekly feature on the Stacy Blackman Consulting blog: SBC Scoop.
SBC Scoop will provide an inside look at our client experiences. I hope that reading about our clients, understanding the advice they were given, and viewing the results, will help you on your quest for an MBA.
Our first SBC Scoop case study is about a client who decided to ask for a deferral.
Our client, “Jason’s” father was diagnosed with cancer a few weeks after he started working with us. This was a difficult situation, but he decided to forge ahead with his applications, as this had been his plan for a long time, and his father’s prognosis was unclear. Jason applied to four schools: Wharton, Kellogg, Michigan and Tuck. He put together a very strong package and was ultimately admitted to three of his target schools: Wharton, Kellogg and Michigan. Unfortunately, over the next few months, his father’s health greatly declined and Jason felt that he needed to be near his family in southern California, to help support them. Jason moved from his home in San Francisco, down to Los Angeles, and put his business school plans on hold indefinitely. Of the three schools that he received admits from, he was torn between Wharton and Kellogg as his first choice. He decided to contact those two schools and ask for deferrals. We discussed the situation with him, and although deferrals are rarely guaranteed, this felt like as good a reason as any to request one. We were optimistic that if he honestly relayed his story to the admissions comittee, and conveyed his enthusiasm for the programs, they would be sympathetic.
What ultimately happened taught us a lot about deferrals. Wharton granted a deferral and he ended up attending one year later. I am sorry to report that my other alma mater, Kellogg, declined his request. Obviously, this made Jason’s decision very easy and he still went on to have a great experience at one of the top business schools in the world. This was Kellogg’s loss, but for us certainly highlighted the uncertainty around deferral requests. It’s never a good idea to plan for a deferral to be part of your strategy. Obviously, life can be unexpected, and in case something comes up, it’s nice to know that a deferral might be an option. Yes, a possible option, but never something to count on.
So, what do you think? Does this outcome surprise you? Let me know in the comments below, and let me know what you think of SBC Scoop as well. If you have ideas for profiles to feature, you can also suggest them below.