Attention all creative types! The Johns Hopkins Carey Business School and the Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA) have joined forces to launch the MBA/MA in Design Leadership, focusing on the integration of creative thinking into all aspects of organizational management and development.
The program—in development for 2012—is the only one in the country in which students can simultaneously earn graduate degrees from both a business school at a major research university and a major college of art and design. Students will come from backgrounds that include business management, marketing, engineering, finance, art and design, architecture, fine arts and other fields.
“This dual-degree program presents an exciting and novel opportunity to develop a new generation of design leaders with the knowledge, skills, and talents that will enable them to have impact across multiple disciplines and domains,” says William W. Agresti, professor and associate dean for professional programs at the Carey Business School.
“It will build the management and innovation capacity of designers, engineers and budding entrepreneurs, while instilling the confidence that comes from a solid understanding of the core business disciplines. It’s difficult to imagine a timelier program, given the tremendous need for innovation, collaboration and leadership for advancing organizations and society.”
The MBA/MA in Design Leadership program will enable students to:
- Earn an MBA and an MA in Design Leadership in this 18- to 20-month, 66-credit program of study and gain double the skill sets of a traditional MBA program in a compressed period of time.
- Enhance in-depth knowledge in diverse areas including strategy, finance, statistics, economics, ethics, law, marketing, operations and human capital management along with visualization, prototyping, cultural relevance and awareness, design theory, sustainability and social responsiveness.
- Develop expertise in strategy formulation, audience targeting, research, and design thinking through a collaborative, multidisciplinary approach to problem solving.
- Study in a cohort of peers with a broad array of expertise and knowledge.
- Learn through educational experiences that immerse students in real-world situations presented by companies, nonprofits, governments, and individuals.
Going beyond the mastery of traditional business practices, the MBA/MA in Design Leadership program takes business leadership a step further””integrating an approach to meeting challenges that centers on making connections between ideas, resources, and people that might not appear obvious.
“The new M.B.A./M.A. in Design Leadership draws upon the complementary strengths of two great institutions and builds upon their history of successful collaboration,” says Ray Allen, MICA’s vice president for academic affairs and provost. “Through an active and sustained immersion in the creative process grounded in a proven business curriculum, graduates from this program will be prepared to engage and lead organizations in the discovery of fresh and innovative solutions to real-world challenges.”