Ask the AdCom: Who are Some Famous Graduates of Your Program?
Hey everybody! We’re back with another installment of “Ask the AdCom,” where we share a wide range of tips, trivia, and advice from admissions team members from a dozen top business schools. Since AdCom members are human, too, we know our readers will enjoy seeing a different side of what makes these guys tick.
This fun space is not really about the application process but more about real-life topics, like what’s a good book to read, best place to study, where you can find a killer meal near campus, and all the fun stuff happening at b-school that creates those lifelong, cherished memories for MBA students.
We hope you become inspired, too!
Today’s question is: Who are your famous alums?
John Roeder, Assistant Dean of Graduate Admissions at SMU Cox School of Business:
- Lamar Hunt, founder of the American Football League and owner of the Kansas City Chiefs
- Gerald J. Ford, Dallas-based billionaire
- Blake Mycoskie, founder of TOMS Shoes
- Ray Hunt, founder and CEO of Hunt Oil Company
- Thomas Horton, Chairman of AMR and American Airlines
Shari Hubert, Associate Dean of MBA Admissions at Georgetown McDonough School of Business:
- Guy Adami (B ’86), original member of CNBC’s “Fast Money” team
- Michael Chasen (MBA ’95), president and CEO of Social Radar, cofounder and former CEO of Blackboard (and a member of Georgetown’s Board of Directors)
- Jim Gaffigan (B ’88), stand-up comedian and actor
- Ted Leonsis (C ’77), chairman and CEO of Monumental Sports and Entertainment (owner of the Washington Wizards, Capitals, Mystics and the Verizon Center) and vice chairman emeritus of AOL (and chair of the board for Georgetown’s Entrepreneurship Initiative)
- Ann Sarnoff (B ’83), president of BBC Worldwide North America (and vice chair of the McDonough School of Business Board of Advisors).
- Maria Shriver (C ’77), NBC News anchor, former first lady of California.
- Laurence Tosi (B ’90, L/MBA ’94), CFO of Airbnb, former CFO of The Blackstone Group (and a member of Georgetown’s Board of Directors)
Kelly R. Wilson, Executive Director of Admissions at CMU Tepper School of Business:
- David Tepper, Appaloosa Management
- James Swartz, Accel Partners
- Eric Butler, Union Pacific
- David Coulter, Warburg Pincus
- Brian Olsavsky, Amazon
- Cindy Padnos, Illuminate Ventures
- Keith Law, ESPN
- … and don’t forget famous Carnegie Mellon University alums such as artist Andy Warhol, actor Holly Hunter, “Last Lecture” author Randy Pausch, the late astronaut Judith Resnik and director George Romero.
Morgan Bernstein, Executive Director of Full-Time MBA Admissions at UC Berkeley-Haas School of Business:
- Paul Otellini, MBA 84, former CEO of Intel
- Shantanu Narayen, MBA 93, CEO of Adobe
- Barbara Desoer, MBA 77, CEO of Citibank
- Don Fisher, BS 51, founder of The Gap
Alex Lawrence, Assistant Dean of MBA Admissions at UCLA Anderson School of Management:
- Susan Wojcicki, MBA 98, CEO of YouTube
- Larry Fink, MBA 74, Founder, Chairman and CEO of Blackrock
- Bill Gross MBA 71, co-founder PIMCO
Judi Byers, Executive Director of Admissions and Financial Aid at Cornell’s Johnson Graduate School of Management:
- Ken Derr MBA ’60, retired Chairman and CEO, Chevron Corporation
- Michael Chen, MBA ’85, CEO, Chen & Associates. Former President, Strategic Initiatives Group, NBC
- Daniel Hesse, MBA ’77, former President & CEO, Sprint
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg ’54, United States Supreme Court Justice
- Abby Joseph Cohen ’73, President of the Global Markets Institute, Goldman Sachs & Co.
Virginie Fougea, Associate Director of Admissions at INSEAD:
- Tidjane Thiam, MBA ’88J, CEO Credit Suisse
- Barbara Kux, MBA ’84J, Board member of Total and Henkel and one of Fortune’s “most powerful women in business”
- Henry Engelhardt, MBA ’88J Admiral Insurance co-founder
- Grita Loebsack, MBA ’95D, CEO of Kering Luxury – Couture & Leather Goods
- Carole Ramella, MBA ’06D, Founder & Managing Director, GFA Consulting Ltd, a company based in Ghana that helps African businesses raise funds.
- Philippe Houzé, MBA ’74, President of Galeries Lafayette
Look out for the #AskAdCom in our social media channels, and we’ll keep you posted when we check in again to Ask the AdCom about even more interesting, unusual and inspiring happenings at their MBA programs.