SBC Scoop: Rushing for Round 2
*Please note that no client details are ever shared in SBC Scoop or otherwise without complete sign off from client.
This time of year there are only a few weeks until many top MBA’s Round 2 deadline. Is it worth putting together a last minute application?
Vipul came to us last year with this very question. He had originally planned to apply earlier, but he had to re-take the GMAT after a disappointing 660 on his first attempt. He improved his score significantly, and with a 700 GMAT score, 3.6 GPA and career progression on his resume he felt ready to try for admission to McCombs (UT Austin), CMU Tepper and Ross.
In our first conversation with Vipul we gave him the honest feedback that three weeks to complete three entire MBA applications would be unlikely to result in the best outcome. Typically we work with clients for several months honing essays and ensuring recommenders are engaged in the process. Vipul was confident that the timing was right for him, and he had already done the necessary soul searching on his future career goals, school selection, and recommenders. Most importantly, Vipul was willing to re-apply the next year if necessary because he enjoyed his job and knew he could continue his career there.
We decided that the hourly service would be the best option to assist Vipul with his limited time. With limited time to devote to his essays and recommendations, Vipul first contacted all of his recommenders and asked them if they were able to submit by his deadline. After a quick brainstorming session to determine his essay topics, Vipul got to work on his essay drafts. We focused on the key content Vipul needed to make his case for submission and he was able to quickly turnaround his drafts of the essays. Three iterations of his essays later we felt good about his final product and he was ready to submit after only three weeks of work.
Vipul’s dedication paid off and he was admitted to McCombs.
Rushing to make a deadline isn’t always the right course of action. For example, our client Michael made the decision to postpone to the next round in order to strengthen his application.