Anyone wondering whether the new test section may unwittingly give a boost to the GRE will be interested in knowing that, with the upcoming introduction of the GRE revised General Test, ETS plans to offer a limited-time 50% discount on the test fee to all individuals who take the test between August 1 and September 30, 2011.
The announcement appeared on the GRE website when ETS revealed a completely new test-taker section designed to educate potential graduate and business school students about the GRE revised General Test.
When it debuts in 2011, the GRE revised General Test will feature:
- More questions featuring real-life scenarios to better reflect the kind of thinking students will do in today’s demanding graduate and business school programs
- Less reliance on vocabulary out of context, more emphasis on reading ”” and no antonyms or analogies
- Many new navigation features, including the ability to skip questions and go back to them later within a section for a better test-taking experience
- New answer types, such as filling in a number or providing more than one response when asked, so students can better demonstrate what they know
- An on-screen calculator for the Quantitative Reasoning section
Also starting in August 2011, the split-test administration will be eliminated in China (including Hong Kong), Korea and Taiwan, and will be replaced with computer-based testing one to two times per month. Candidates testing in those regions will be able to take the Verbal, Quantitative and Analytical Writing sections on computer, all on the same day.
* * * * *
If you are feeling stumped by your application essays and need some additional guidance, check out our NEW series of essay guides for MBA applications. Columbia, Harvard, Kellogg, Stanford and Wharton available now. They are seriously terrific and we are proud to say that almost every person who has ordered one has come back for more!