NYU Stern 2013-2014 Essay Questions, Deadlines
This year’s four deadlines are:
Deadline: October 15, 2013
Initial Notification*: December 15, 2013
Deadline: November 15, 2013
Initial Notification: February 15, 2014
Deadline: January 15, 2014
Initial Notification: April 1, 2014
Deadline: March 15, 2014
Initial Notification: June 1, 2014
*Applicants will receive one of three initial notifications: invitation to interview, waitlist offer, or denial of admissions.
The essay topics are as follows:
Essay 1: Professional Aspirations (750 word maximum, double-spaced, 12-point font)
(a) Why pursue an MBA (or dual degree) at this point in your life?
(b) What actions have you taken to determine that Stern is the best fit for your MBA experience?
(c) What do you see yourself doing professionally upon graduation?
Essay 2: Choose either Option A or Option B
Option A: Your Two Paths (500 word maximum, double-spaced, 12-point font)
The mission of the Stern School of Business is to develop people and ideas that transform the challenges of the 21st century into opportunities to create value for business and society. Given today’s ever-changing global landscape, Stern seeks and develops leaders who thrive in ambiguity, embrace a broad perspective and think creatively about the range of ways they can have impact.
(a) Describe two different and distinct paths you could see your career taking long term. How do you see your two paths unfolding?
(b) How do your paths tie to the mission of NYU Stern?
(c) What factors will most determine which path you will take?
Option B: Personal Expression
Please describe yourself to your MBA classmates. You may use almost any method to convey your message (e.g. words, illustrations). Feel free to be creative. If you submit a non-written piece for Option B (i.e., artwork or multimedia) or if you submit Option B via mail, please upload a brief description of your submission with your online application.
Guidelines for Option B:
- Your submission becomes the property of NYU Stern and cannot be returned for any reason.
- If you submit a written essay, it should be 500 words maximum, double-spaced, 12-point font.
- If you submit a video or audio file, it should be five minutes maximum.
- If you prepare a multimedia submission, you may mail a CD, DVD or USB flash drive to the Admissions Office. These are the only acceptable methods of submission.
- Please do not submit an internet link to any websites or to a video hosting service such as YouTube.
- The Admissions Committee reserves the right to request an alternate Essay 3 if we are unable to view your submission.
- Do not submit anything perishable (e.g. food), or any item that has been worn (e.g. clothing).
Essay 3: Optional
Please provide any additional information that you would like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee. This may include current or past gaps in employment, further explanation of your undergraduate record or self-reported academic transcript(s), plans to retake the GMAT, GRE and/or TOEFL or any other relevant information.
If you are unable to submit a recommendation from your current supervisor, you must explain your reason in Essay 3.
If you are a re-applicant from last year, please explain how your candidacy has improved since your last application.
Stay tuned for Stacy Blackman’s NYU Stern MBA essay tips, coming soon!