Columbia MBA Essays for 2021-2022
The Columbia MBA essays for the 2021-2022 admissions season are now available. Applicants to Columbia Business School must complete one short answer question and three essays. For this cycle, CBS has introduced a new essay option on ethical and inclusive leadership.
Short Answer Question
What is your immediate post-MBA professional goal? (maximum 50 characters)
Examples of possible responses:
- “Work in business development for a media company.”
- “Join a strategy consulting firm.”
- “Launch a data management start-up.”
Through your resume and recommendations, we have a clear sense of your professional path to date. What are your career goals over the next 3-5 years and what, in your imagination, would be your long-term dream job? (500 words)
Essays 2 and 3
Please respond to two (2) of the three (3) essay questions listed below:
- The Phillips Pathway for Inclusive Leadership (PPIL) is a new co-curricular program designed to ensure that every CBS student develops the skills to become an ethical and inclusive leader. Through PPIL, students attend programming focused on give essential diversity, equity, and inclusion skills: Creating an Inclusive Environment, Mitigating Bias, Communicating Across Identities, Addressing Systemic Inequity, and Managing Difficult Conversations. Tell us about a time you were challenged around one of these five skills. Describe the situation, the actions you took, and the outcome. (250 words)
- Why do you feel Columbia Business School is a good fit for you? (250 words)
- Tell us about your favorite book, movie, or song and why it resonates with you. (250 words)
Is there any further information that you wish to provide the Admissions Committee? If so, use this space to provide an explanation of any areas of concern in your academic record or your personal history. This does not need to be a formal essay. You may submit bullet points. (maximum 500 words)
For more information on applying, please visit the Columbia Business School admissions website. If you need guidance on your Columbia MBA essays or wish to discuss your MBA plans, reach out for a complimentary analysis of your candidacy. We’re here to help!