Are you targeting Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management? Then it’s time to shift into gear. The Kellogg MBA essays for the 2020-2021 admissions cycle have just been confirmed.
The essays let you explain, in your own words, why you think Kellogg is right for you. Take some time to think through the experiences that led you here and how they have shaped where you want to go.
The following two Kellogg MBA essays are required of all applicants:
- Kellogg’s purpose is to educate, equip and inspire brave leaders who create lasting value. Provide a recent example where you have demonstrated leadership and created value. What challenges did you face and what did you learn? (450 words)
- Values are what guide you in your life and work. What values are important to you and how have they influenced you? (450 words)
Certain applicants will respond to additional questions:
1Y applicants: Please discuss your post-MBA career goal, the current experience you will leverage to support the transition, and the Kellogg 1Y opportunities that will help you reach this goal. (250 words)
JD-MBA applicants: Please discuss your post-JD-MBA career goals and why the JD-MBA Program is the right program to help you reach those goals. (250 words)
MMM applicants: The five core values of the MMM Program are curiosity, creativity, empathy, open-mindedness and a learning mindset. Describe a situation in which you demonstrated one of these values. Why is this value an important part of the MMM experience for you? (250 words)
Reapplicants: Since your previous application, what steps have you taken to strengthen your candidacy? (250 words)
All applicants have the opportunity to provide explanations or clarification in Additional Information. Use this section if you think the person reviewing your application might have a few questions about one or more of your responses. This could include:
- Unexplained gaps in work experience
- Academic, GMAT or GRE performance
- Extenuating circumstances that we should be aware of when reviewing your application
The Kellogg admissions team advises the following in regards to the video essay:
The video essay provides you with an additional opportunity to demonstrate what you will bring to our vibrant Kellogg community — in an interactive way. You will respond to several short video essay questions. The questions are designed to bring to life the person we have learned about on paper.
- Video essay 1: Please introduce yourself to the admissions committee.Consider this your opportunity to share what you would want your future Kellogg classmates and our admissions committee to know about you. What makes you, you?
- Video essay 2: What path are you interested in pursuing, how will you get there, and why is this program right for you?This is an intentionally broad question so you can answer honestly and meaningfully. We want to know why you’re pursuing an MBA and why you’re choosing a particular Kellogg Full-Time Program.
- Video essay 3: The third question will ask about a challenge you’ve faced.
Read more specific advice for how best to prepare for the video essay here.
For more information on applying, please visit the Kellogg School MBA admissions website. If you need guidance on your Kellogg essays and MBA application, or wish to discuss your MBA plans, reach out for a complimentary analysis of your candidacy. We’re here to help!